They Shaped History
For almost two centuries, this community has been nurtured by citizens who lived large, gave back, and left legacies.
Governor of the Hudson’s Bay Company, ordered the construction of the original Fort Langley—so named for HBC director Thomas Langley. The trading post played a significant role in BC’s development for almost 60 years.
The Fort relocated 3.5km upstream, suffered a fire, and was rebuilt in 1840. The post became a major commercial hub, with a farm and fish packing business.
Lily Dawson Hope established her reputation as an entrepreneur and philanthropist who gave generously to her community, nurturing its growth. We are proud to name Lily Terrace in her honour.
Dr. Benjamin Marr, Fort Langley’s first resident physician and an enthusiastic gardener, planted Horse Chestnut trees along the front of his Glover Road property. Today they create a leafy canopy for the street.
Brenda Alberts, a champion of the arts, owned the Birthplace of BC Gallery at 9054 Glover for 20 years. She volunteered for numerous charities and was passionate about preserving local heritage.